Special considerations for Plastic Surgical Procedures
Early intervention = Rapid re-epithelialization= scarless healing
Epithelialization is the initial covering and connecting of the wound edges
- The key to obtaing scarless healing is Rapid re-epithelialization
- Rapid epithelialization can be obtained through normalizing the calcium gradient-
- Promotion of Keratinocyte cell proliferation and differentation
- migration of keratinocytes along fibrin through new extracelluar matrix
- Collegenase inhancement on wound edges - Hyper-Heal cream
Cosmetic Procedures Prone to problem scarring - Breast Reduction & Tummy Tuck
Unavoidable skin tension are characteristic in certain proceedures where high load or skin tension can cause prolonged the prolifration and remodeling phases of scar formation. Particular surgeries which immediate post-op scar management is recommended Breast reduction surgery and Abdominal or Tummy tuck surgery.
Your Physician should consult you on post surgical protocols that will result in an optimal outcomes. Perhaps your Plastic Surgeon's office has refered you to this site. Surgical scar care should should start two to three weeks post-operation and continue can continue up to one year. If after two to three months your scar still looks "beefy" "upset" or dark purple or red you most likely have the beginning of a problem hypertrophic scar or keloid.
Mature Scars that are Unsatisfactory
Sometimes scars are not cosmetically acceptable because either no scar management was undertaken or because of genetic or other circumstance. In these cases some sort of scar revision by you plastic surgeon called z-plasty or some type of ablation proceddure like laser, chemical resurfacing are recommended. the use of ReJuveness silicone sheeting and Hyper-heal cream will highly improve the results of these scar revison proceedures.
If you would like to try an at home scar revision procedure we highly recommend derma needling. It produces micro injuries to the skin and reepitheialization which can be enhanced by Hyper-Heal Cream and ReJuveness Silicone sheeting which will speed up the rate of keratinocyte production and differentation getting the healing process ahead of the skin memeory for a succesful scar revision experience
Recommended Protocols for remodeling phase
1. Wound edge tension support- starting 1-3 weeks post-op
- minimal management with a post-op tape or steri strips
- Recommended silicone sheeting at least 3/4 of an inch overlap on each side
- Tummy Tuck 3 inch width to provide splinting and extra support.
- Silicone sheeting and KT taping
- facilitation of calcium gradient for keratinocyte differentation -Rejuveness siliocne sheeting
- Barrier repair Eperdermis - Hyper-Heal cream
- CD 36 activation - ReJuveness silicone sheeting
- Keratinocyte differentation -dermal neddling
- collegenase enhancement -Hyper-Heal cream - active ingredient Phosphatydalcholine
- collagen organization- taping and siliocne sheeting
- keratinocyte feedback loop on keloidal fibroblast- Hyper-Heal cream & silicone sheeting